Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Single Parent?

Does the fact that CC is gone mean that I am currently a single parent?  People toss the phrase "single parent" around like it should be some term that I indentify with.  Well, I would like to set the record straight.

Though I am the only parent present in our home currently, I am not a single parent.  That's right, not.  N-O-T.  If you were to ask if my kids were being raised in a single parent home, I would say no every day, deployment or not.

At the moment, however, I am a "double parent."  I, as part of my promise to love my husband, am currently doubling up on the things I need to do as a parent.  Usually, when Bubba needs a haircut, Daddy takes him - the barber shop does lend itself to a boys-only zone.  Fixing things around the house, taking care of the cars, taking out the trash, wrestling with the kids - those tasks are usually under CC's domain.  I need to take special care to pay attention to my kids and give them more of me because Dad isn't here to talk to them about their days, too.

But, even as I write this, it seems as though I am taking something away from CC.  He is still Daddy even though he's far away.  I don't see myself as "Mom and Dad," I see myself as Mom times 2.  I can not replace CC's presence in the kids' lives but I can work to make his absence easier for them to manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment